Saturday, August 20, 2011

Next Services 100 Miles

'The Road Less Traveled'

Have you ever been driving a very long distance and for some reason you decide to stray from the beaten path, and take the back roads instead of the interstate freeways?

I have driven dozens of times up and down I-10, I-5, back and forth from Phoenix to Los Angeles, and up to the San Francisco Bay Area. And those interstates are boring!

So the other day when I was driving south on I-5, as I was nearing Bakersfield, I veered off onto the back roads, heading into parts unknown. Instead of taking the usual route, I decided to take the road less traveled!

What would I find? What would I see? What adventures lie ahead?

I was driving alone, with exception of my two little dogs. We headed into the high desert of the Mojave, avoiding the LA basin, its traffic jams, pollution and busy freeways.

Driving on two lane highways, we went through many little towns. As we passed through Victorville, I got to see a part of the historic Route 66!

The desert began to change as we drove on, giant Joshua Trees popped up as we entered the Yucca Valley area. They are so beautiful!

It was getting late, so I decided to stay the night in Yucca Valley. We were in the high desert, but the evening was cool and the air was fresh. Same for the morning, but as the sun came up, the temperature quickly rose.

Passing on to Twenty Nine Palms, seeing the Marine Corps base off to the left, and heading westward, there was a sign, "Next services, 100 miles".

Hmmmm. I was driving alone. On a very little traveled back highway across the desert, and it was quickly getting into the triple digits in temperature. Should I drive down to I-10, where it was perhaps safer? Faster? But so familiar and boring?

Nahhhh!

Nothing like the adventure of seeing new things. I had never gone this way before. So, I headed westward. Into the unknown!

Passing through Parker, again I could have taken a road down to I-10. But I stayed on the back roads.

Yes it was risky, perhaps dangerous. But I am so glad I did it. And I got to see things and places I have never seen before!

Have you ever done this? Weren't you glad you did?



No comments:

Post a Comment