Monday, July 9, 2012

Modern Day Monk

Have you recently perused the classifieds and looked at what jobs are available ?   Notice a great many of them, in fact I would say the majority, say something like,  "must be able to work in a fast paced environment".

Have you ever noticed how we say certain words and phrases, as they are the thing to say, sometimes without even thinking about it?  For example, the big little phrase these days is "real quick".  Such as, "I just need to check this, real quick."   Or, "I just need to do this, real quick..."

Everything is "real quick", and "fast paced".  

It seems there just are no jobs out there if you want one with low stress,  a slower pace, with decent pay and not have to do things "real quick"!    I should add, for many careers, not having to work 80+ hours a week!

We have become adrenaline junkies, caffeine addicts, take massive amounts of vitamins and or supplements for energy, etc.  We have become a society that is driven, intense, workaholic, sleep deprived, vacation and rest deprived and deal with great amounts of stress.

All my life I have had fast paced jobs, have worked multitudes of hours every week, and have dealt with extreme stress, especially the past few years with family tragedies and global deployments.

Is it any wonder I got sick last year?

Well, I have been given the blessing of having my life again.
St. Benedict giving his "rule" (teachings) to his monks

And I do not want to work 80+ hours a week....I do not want to do things, or anything for that matter "real quick".  And I most certainly do not want to be in an intense, fast paced environment!

Eesh!

What if we said, "I just need to do this, real slow!"

And I will continue to look in the classifieds for a job ad that says, "must be able to work in a slow paced and relaxed environment!"

I think I will become a modern day monk!  

Join me, if you dare!


1 comment:

  1. I so get what you are talking about here. Though my last few months could hardly be called "slow paced and relaxed" it is the direction I've heading for several years now. Taking your dare is no problem for me.

    ReplyDelete