Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Frankincense, the sacred incense

Frankincense
There is a saying,  everywhere you go, you take a little bit of it home with you. 

When I went to Arabia in 2009, I noticed the smell of incense is everywhere.  They burn incense many places, including the malls and in many souks and shops. 

And naturally, as frankincense is from southern Arabia, (the southern coast of Oman, Yemen and the northern coast of Somalia).  Frankincense is actually a tree, the boswellia sacra
Frankincense tree in Arabia

These trees have been cultivated for thousands of years for their resin, (tree sap) which is and has been used as sacred incense for the past 5000 years.  When the sap dries, it looks like little golden nuggets.  And when burned, it emits a sweet aroma.

So, when I was preparing to return home after being in Arabia for nearly 5 months, I wanted to buy some gifts for my friends back home.  But wanted something authentically Arabian.  

 Incense shop
So I decided to buy frankincense.  I went to a souk, (a marketplace), where there are many vendors that sell incense.   They sell it by the pound.

I asked the seller to put my frankincense nuggets in small little zip-lock baggies, so I could give them as gifts to my friends back home.  

As he was putting the frankincense in the bags, two Arab men were watching us from across the counter.  They were both dressed in their white dishdashas, (white tunics) and ghutras, (white head gear) with the black iqal (crown).  

Arabian incense burner
With their Arabian accents, they asked me in English why I was buying so much frankincense. 

I told them I wanted to get something authentically Arabian to give as gifts for my friends back home.  Something that did not say "made in China" when you turned it upside down!

They burst out laughing! 

I still have a lot of that frankincense here at my home from that trip, even though I have given much of it away, much to the enjoyment of my friends!  I burn it occasionally, and it fills my house with its sweet, sacred smell.


My little Frankincense Tree
A while back, I wondered about growing or purchasing a frankincense tree.  I soon discovered they are pretty rare in the USA and thus, very hard to come by. 

I persisted and finally found this little tree!  

My little tree pictured here is about 2 feet tall in the pot.  And yes, this is a true Frankincense tree, the boswellia sacra!

Why did I want one?  Well, not to cut it and bleed its sap.  I hope my little tree grows big and healthy.  I do after all live in a desert!  Sonoran desert, meet a plant from the Arabian desert!  

As they say... everywhere you go, you take a little bit of it home with you! 

1 comment:

  1. I love it that you have a boswellia sacra! Very cool indeed. I would think it would thrive at your place.

    ReplyDelete