Monday, June 24, 2013

Strength for the Road of Life


SERMON - “Strength for the Road of Life”    Proper 7, Pent. 5.  Is. 65:1-9, Ps 22:18-27, Gal. 3:23-29, Luke 8:26-39  June 23, 2013   The Rev. Laura Adelia  
 
Good morning St Peter’s!  This last week as many of you know, was Vacation Bible School.

It was a lot of fun.  Tons of children, from the very young to older ages were all there.  There were games, activities, dancing and music.  And there were special times too where they would participate in a spiritual ritual, and this is very special to see.   Yes, even the very young have a spirituality and feel God’s love. 

The pastor from the Lutheran Church played the Apostle Paul, and the children especially enjoyed going to Paul’s “house”.  It was a darkened room, made up like a tent, and there the children would listen to his stories, pray with him, and participate in rituals, like putting a little drawing of their hand on a wooden cross.  The children became very solemn doing this,  you could tell it was very meaningful for them.

I think we as adults can forget that children can be very spiritual ...and have spiritual needs too!

Think about when you first introduced to God, or felt God’s love and holiness.  Was it when you were a child?  Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, etc. sets a positive base for life… that we are not alone in this sometimes difficult world, and that God is with us and loves us.   

And this is spiritual strength for the road of life!

However, it’s no secret that religion is just not part of many people’s lives these days.  Teaching Religious Studies classes at Mesa Community College, I have gotten to know many students over the years….one of the joys of teaching.  So many students have shared with me that taking the introductory world religions class was / is their first exposure to any religion or what religion is about.

So many these people days have no religious or spiritual upbringing at all.  What might be the effects of this?

It makes you wonder…why do we have religion?  Is religion really needed?  Why do we gather together, sing songs, pray together, do things together and participate in rituals like the Holy Eucharist?

One reason… for strength!

As a chaplain in the military, most recently I have never seen the level of crises and mental distress that I have seen in the entire 23 years I have been in.  I am sure you have heard how the military is currently experiencing extremely high levels of suicides and suicide attempts, as well as other mental issues and crises. 

Last March, I was on duty for 5 days, and there were five major crises! I have never seen anything like it.  I was stationed at Luke for 8 years, and we maybe had one or two in a whole year.  But now, it has seriously escalated.

Why is this?  Is it because so many have done multiple deployments overseas over the years?  Probably. 

As they say, there are no atheists in foxholes.  And it is true.  Nothing against atheists, mind you.  As a chaplain, I have counseled many an atheist and non religious who are in need of pastoral care.  Even people who are remotely religious usually come to chapel, or need someone “safe” to talk to when deployed…they need the spiritual strength, the support, a positive message, hope, it helps them get through the tough times and the stress of being deployed and far away from home. 

Strength for the Road of Life!

When I was deployed to Antarctica in 2010, I was the chaplain at McMurdo Station.  Yep, it’s cold down there!  I left Phoenix and it was 111 degrees…a few days later stepping off the plane that just landed on the frozen ocean runway in McMurdo Station, Antarctica, wearing a big red parka, I was hit in the face with 35 degrees below zero!  Whew!

Now, down there it was a science mission, it was run by the National Science Foundation.  Scientists from all over the world were there doing research in their respective fields;  Volcanologists, meteorologists, biologists, studying the sea life, penguins, seals, global warming, and more.  Yes, the ‘PhD factor’ was pretty high down there!

And not just the scientists.  Many people, young and adventurous, wanting just to go to Antarctica took any job, just to get down there.  Even the dishwashers in the dining hall had PhDs!  So, it was a very interesting bunch of people!

I would go around and visit people in their work areas.  One day I was visiting a new bunch of scientists who had just arrived in the lab.  I introduced myself as their chaplain, and welcomed them.  Most everyone was usually pretty friendly, but this one lady sort of turned her back to me and said, “I’m an atheist!”

Again, I have no issues with atheists.  I soon learned that there was vibe by some people down there that was anti-religious.  I guess they thought I was going to shove religion or Jesus down their throat.  But soon people realized I was “OK”, and they warmed up to me.

But I did learn, that many viewed religion as a “weakness”, that only the weak were into, or needed religion. 

Oh, they have it so wrong!!

For religion and having a faith in God gives us strength!  Strength for the road of life!   Strength through the storms, strength in facing or battling modern day demons and so forth.  And as we know, they do come, don’t they?

In today’s gospel, Jesus heals the Gerasene man possessed by many demons whose name is “Legion”.  Gerasenes is the region where the city of Jerash is located.  It is an ancient Greco-Roman city, located in north-western modern day Jordan.

So Jesus steps off the boat and is met by a man possessed by many demons. The man lived in the tombs among the dead and wore no clothes.  He suffered seizures, hurt and harmed himself and had to be chained.  He is unpredictable, violent and alone, his life out of his control.  The poor man lived a life of total misery.

The modern day worldview?  The man suffered from mental illness.  But people in the ancient Middle East regarded all illnesses as the result of the power of evil.

Jesus heals the man.  The man is no longer ill, the demons, gone.  He sits at Jesus’ feet. 

The man now in his right mind wants to follow Jesus.   But Jesus tells the man to return home and to tell people how much God has done for him.

When I was sick, I know the doctors who helped me get well saved my life.  But also, I know, God was in my healing.    God, the love and power of God is in all healing.  Ever notice hospitals usually have a chapel?    No matter the skill level or specialty of the doctors, nurses, etc., even the non-religious will most likely pray when facing death, illness or injury!  

We have all known people who have battled their demons…drug addictions, alcoholism, and so forth.  Friends, family members…

A couple of years ago, while working at the VA Hospital in Palo Alto, CA, I worked with a chaplain who was a recovering alcoholic.  She had been sober for 30 years, and among other things, she led the Addictions Spirituality Group for veterans battling their addictions. 

Being that I have known people who have battled this demon, and some who have sadly lost this battle, including my own sister…I asked her how she did it.  How did she beat alcoholism?

I wondered, for the sad statistic is that most do not beat this modern day demon.

And she told me her story.   She had tried numerous times, and always gave in to the urge to drink. 

And then one day, her prayers answered; she was able to resist the urge to drink…just for one day.  And then ‘one day at a time’, as they say.  How or why she was able to finally beat her demon, and why so many others cannot, she said she did not know exactly.  

But, what she did know was that God gave her strength and was involved in her healing and deliverance from her addiction. 

And in her healing, came her life’s work… to help others break free from addiction, and be made whole through the power and love of God. 

Love and the power of God will always conquer the forces of evil.

And no one, and I mean no one, is beyond the power and reach of Christ’s healing love!

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment