Friday, November 1, 2013

The Price of Love

What is the price of love?  
Zeke

Last May I took in a new little doggie, a foster from a rescue organization.  Zeke was eight years old, and had become homeless and found his way into a rescue organization as his human had passed away.   And then he found his way to me.

This little guy was my second foster doggie.  My other two doggies and I "decided" we needed to try and help other animals find homes.  After all, my two little doggies were once in need of a home and rescues themselves...until I adopted them.

Zeke found his way into my heart, and after eight or so weeks, I thought I would ask him him if he would like me to adopt him, and live with us forever.  I held him in my arms, and asked him.  Amazingly, he let out a yelp and put his head down on my lap! 

And so I adopted him.  


Zeke smiling, sitting comfortably on the couch
I don't think I need to explain the love that grows between an animal and a human.  It is a natural thing.  I bought him his collar and leash, his harness, his little dog dish, and a name tag for his collar.  He became 'my little guy'.

I took him on many a walk.  How wonderful it was to see him run and play in my backyard.  A happy little dog.  And sitting with me on the back patio as I drank my morning coffee.

But then one day Zeke would not eat his breakfast.  Very unusual for him.  And then he would not eat dinner.  He felt warm, something wasn't right.  I took him to the vet. 

Zeke died gently in my arms a few days later. 

Tears.  Lots and lots of tears.  Grief.  For when you truly love, when they leave it hurts.  It hurts.  Even if they were only with you a short while.

That is the price of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment