Saturday, July 23, 2011

Anchor's Aweigh!.... Singing with the Women Veterans

The other day I attended a social function held by the Veteran's Hospital honoring Women Vets. I met so many older women veterans, some served in Korea, Vietnam, and even a few from WWII!

Interestingly, so many of them were Navy. Some were Army, one lady a Marine, a couple served in the USAF. The ladies told me stories of their time in the service, with flashes of excitement in their eyes..."Oh it was such a time!" said one of the older lady vets.

So many stories.

Today we are so used to seeing women in the military. But before the 1970's, women in the military services were a drastic minority. One of the male chaplains I serve with here is a Vietnam vet, (Marine Corps) and he said he only saw one or two ladies in the military when he was in, back in the '60s.

Toward the end of our social gathering I asked the lady vets, why so many Navy here? (I am Air Force.) I started humming the Navy song, and they all chimed in, singing "Anchor's aweigh, my boys!..."

Such great fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I could have been part of that group, what a great service you bring to all your roles. Blessings, Nedra

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, why did so many women join the Navy?
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure Laurie. Maybe it is because the SF Bay Area had many Navy bases way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are ships less likely to be directly involved in combat therefore, it is safer? That being said, the Coast Guard sounds great to me!

    How are you?
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete