Friday, July 29, 2011

Drumming with the Vets!

Here at the Veteran's Hospital in Palo Alto, CA there are many innovative therapies. One such therapy for healing is art and music therapy. This therapy is offered to the Vets in the hospital, especially in the PTSD unit and the hospice unit.

This last week the Music Therapist decided to offer a weekly Drum Circle during lunch for the staff and Vets as a way to de-stress.

Drumming? How could I resist?! What fun!

So I showed up at the drum circle which was held during lunch hour in front of the hospital, outside. There we all were, drumming away. Quite a few people showed up to play, creating good rhythms and having fun.

It was very timely for me. It has been a long time since I have played my drums. How I have missed it!

We played for 45 minutes. There is a certain connection that happens as you play with the others, the drumming is energizing, it moves energy inside you. It is joyful. It is healing. It is de-stressing. It is communal.

Drumming is very powerful.

And spiritual. After all, music is the language of the soul!


No comments:

Post a Comment