Friday, May 11, 2012

When the chaplain needs a chaplain


Sometimes ministry goes way beyond religion...

The tables had turned in my life, and I, the chaplain, was now the patient.  Scared, not feeling well, alone, in this place that was not home, out of my network of friends, family and all.

It was very hard.  I had very little support, and although the people I met here were kind and friendly, it was not home and I did not know many people. 

What to do?  I was fighting for my life.  Enduring very painful treatments.  Afraid.  The months dragged on, and I could not work…being too ill…

Then I saw a business card for the chaplain on the social worker’s desk. She was the chaplain for the advanced medicine center where I was having my treatments.

I decided to call her.  At first I thought it might just be nice to meet her, ask her about her ministry.  She was a rabbi, and a hospital chaplain.  I, an Episcopal priest, and a military chaplain.

We met and began to talk.  She was very kind and a very good listener.  She asked great questions.  We met every week as I endured my painful treatments that lasted many weeks.
The Rabbi and the Episcopal Priest

I found myself really looking forward to our weekly visits.  She really helped me through a very difficult time.   I am very glad she was there.

One day, I was getting my weekly check up by my doctor, and she commented to me, “I am amazed at how well you are doing emotionally going through all this, being you are far away from home and have virtually no support system here…”

My doctor was very kind.  I said to her, “well, I am seeing the chaplain every week”, and pointed to her (she was sitting in the hallway waiting to see me after the doctor).

The said, “Isn’t she a rabbi?”  I said yes.  The doctor asked if I was Jewish.  “No”, I replied, “but that does not matter.  In the chaplaincy, you deal with people of all faiths.  A kind caring person, is a kind caring person, most times it does not matter what religion the person is.  The chaplaincy is more spiritual based.  I have ministered to people of many different faiths as a military chaplain.  And now, I am the patient. And she is a great chaplain.”

The doctor nodded her head in understanding. 

As the weeks went by, I began to fully realize, the rabbi really was my chaplain.

She was Jewish, and I Christian.  But being different faiths did not matter.  We connected on a spiritual level.  She, a kind soul who helped me on the journey.  And I, a person in need.

We all need support now and then.

The military chaplain
Yes, sometimes the chaplain needs a chaplain! 

And yes, sometimes ministry goes way beyond religion!

2 comments:

  1. Laura - many blessings to you. Jesus was also called Rabbi. You were in good company. So glad that you are feeling good enough to post another blog entry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. Glad to know you've had a kind, caring person with you.

    ReplyDelete