Monday, October 11, 2010

A Hike Around McMurdo

The Antarctic Sun!
Today was a beautiful sunny day and the wind is not blowing so I decided to take a hike around McMurdo Station and over to the Discover Hut.  This is the hut that was built by Robert Scott during the Discovery Expedition here in 1902.  

I layered up just in case, but actually came back sweating!  It was a great little hike.  How I miss being able to walk around freely!!     I guess I am getting a bit stir crazy here.  Now every time the weather is nice here, I will walk outside!
Discovery Hut, built in 1902

I took many photos.  Here they are...Enjoy!


Cross near Discovery Hut


McMurdo!

The Ocean!

View westward from Discovery Hut

The Chalet, the National Science Foundation building

Me in my office, at Chapel of the Snows

6 comments:

  1. I think that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pics are beautiful! Chapel of the Snows...you're beginning to collect several "chapel" photos!! Glad things are going well, and thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos. Just looking at them makes me cold so I can imagine how you are feeling. Stay warm. Very interesting on the dehydration issue, never thought of that. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, when are you going to write a novel, there is plenty of adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they ever let anyone non-military be chaplain? I think it would be a great way to spend some sabbatical time--I'll sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your red nose - did you get that from swimming in the ocean?

    ReplyDelete