Sunday, October 3, 2010

Pinning Ceremony, Promotion to Lt Col, McMurdo Style!

For many months I have been waiting for the federal recognition, as it is called to come through on my promotion to Lt Col.  Months have gone by, there have been a few bureaucratic errors, more waiting.  I wondered if I ever was going to get federal rec! 

I tried to visualize getting pinned in my blues, but it wasn't clicking.  Now I know why!!

The other day, I received the news my federal recognition finally came through.  And here I am in Antarctica!

So we decided to do a promotion pinning, McMurdo style!!  In the bar!

I wore my chaplain shirt (it is actually a rugby jersey I am told), as this is my uniform here.  As the commander read the orders, I was pinned, we had wine, and then we went outside to do the oath of office, as a flag must be visible to do this!  And one was over the building two or three buildings over.

It was a great little ceremony.  Unique, unusual, and well worth the wait!

God is always full of surprises! 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your promotion Laura. I am sure that it was well deserved. First Sergeant Mac would be very proud of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your promotion and on having a rugby jersey for a uniform. Thats awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. antarctica...still just so cool. congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve Merrill announced both your promotion and the unusual ceremony in church last Sunday. Congratulations, Laura... from me and all of Shadow Rock.

    ReplyDelete