Thursday, December 30, 2010

In Defense of Religion - Part I

It seems these days religion has gotten a bad reputation.  

This last year I have particularly noticed how much religion seems to be, or has become scapegoated for the world's problems.  Religion no longer has relevance in our modern world.  Religion is thought to be for the weak or simple minded.   Religion is obsolete because now we have science to explain things.    Those involved with religion tend to be overly judgmental.  Religion causes intolerance, prejudice, polarized "us / them" thinking, sexism, obnoxious aggressive proselytizing, acts of violence, even wars...it would seem religion has basically caused more harm than good in the world!  

Spirituality is "in", religion, "out". 

Recent polls show religion no longer has the influence it had on the American population.  For many Christian denominations,  attendance and membership has been in decline the past twenty to thirty years.   

It is not difficult to figure out why many hold negative views of religion.   Acts of violence wars, intolerance, sexism, power politics, hypocrisy, killing, even genocide...all in the name of religion or someone's god (or gods).

Yes, it is easy to blame religion for all these negative things.  But what if we just look a little deeper, what will we find?

Unfortunately many of us have met people who have been hurt by religion, or rather, hurt by people who are involved in a certain religion. Some hurt so badly, they find it difficult to even visit a church, (or mosque, or temple, etc.).  It is a shame, because just about every religion teaches love, peace, forgiveness, hope, etc....but how many people live these things?

Some now go beyond dislike and even seem to hate religion.  The intense hatred of religion I have experienced recently by some people is especially shocking to me.  I overheard a most negative, venomous conversation attacking religion and those in the ministry in a restaurant...most of what they were saying was misinformed.  I did not mean to eavesdrop, but I could not help overhear them talking as I was right next to them. 

And a week or so ago I watched a movie, a documentary spoof on religion.  I don't want to give it any publicity, so I won't say the name of the movie...but again, venomous hatred of religion.  Mean spirited and condescending to anyone who was / is religious.  The person who made this movie had an agenda to be sure...

And so these things got me thinking... in defense of religion.  Is religion really all that bad?  What about all the good things people have done because of their religious beliefs and practices?    How easily we forget, or overlook the good!

Interestingly when I research on the Internet on the defense of religion,  I find mostly writings from conservative persuasions, saying how to defend against "militant atheism", or the "liberal media".

Just more polarized, combative thinking.   What if we dared to look deeper and within, instead of projecting...

There is a song that goes, "Let there be peace on earth.... And let it begin with me." 

Yes, what if we....actually....

Let there be peace on earth.... And let it begin with me!

1 comment:

  1. Laura - that song goes on to say "With God as our Father, brothers (or children) all are we; Let me walk with my brother (or let us walk with each other) in peace and harmony"

    The problem that I see is that so many people forget about God. It is happened many, many times in the past (see Isaiah, for instance) and it always brings about destruction and ruin for the people who forget about God.

    Fortunately for all of us, God doesn't forget about us. But I digress. Yes, let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me. Let there be peace on earth, the peace that was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete