Monday, October 29, 2012

"¿Como se dice 'female priest' en español?" No Translation!

Ancient Priestess, Egypt
I am taking a Spanish refresher, and when asked by the "profesora" what it is I do, I was supposed to respond in Spanish.  But I was not sure how to answer.  How do you say "female priest" in Spanish? 

"¿Como se dice 'female priest' en español?"  I asked her.  She looked totally perplexed.  Due to my limitations in Spanish, I reverted to English, explaining to her I am a priest in the Episcopal Church.  

She looked at me all the more confused!

She is from Mexico and she is a Roman Catholic.  There are no female priests in the Roman Catholic Church, (well, not officially anyway).  For her, there is no word for female priest!  It does not compute!

Sacredote is the Spanish word for priest, and it is in the masculine.  It literally translates as "sacrificer" as priests usually perform and lead rituals, rites and other sacred activities of a religion.  Many times it includes performing sacrifices.

So when I got home, I did a Google search.  I found the word "sarcerdotisa", supposedly meaning "priestess" in Spanish.    

Many professions have both masculine and feminine terms, such as "doctor / doctora", or "profesor / profesora", and so forth.  But some websites stated there is no feminine translation for "priest"!  It does not compute! 

Languages are very interesting.  They tell so much about the psychology of its culture / society, and its worldview.  

Isn't it interesting that English is a language that for the most part does not have the masculine / feminine word associations that Spanish, Arabic and many other languages have? 

Any yet, English does have some words for masculine and feminine, such as "actor / actress", "prince / princess" and so on.  

Yes, we can use the words "priest" and "priestess" in English, but the term "priestess" conjures up thoughts of religions and cultures of antiquity.  Or the New Age religions.  Hmmm.  

Priestesses were aplenty in ancient Greece, ancient Sumeria, and Egypt, even ancient Rome.  And priestesses are aplenty in Wicca and other New Age religions.

Yes, it is no secret that the Abrahamic faiths kind of put a crimp on the profession of the priestess.  

However, it is interesting to note that many other religions of the world have and have had female priests / clergy; Shinto (Japan), many African tribal or natural religions, many indigenous and Native American religions and cultures have and had female shamans, healers, medicine women, and so forth. 

And here we are in modern times, and many religions do have female clergy; priests, ministers, rabbis, imams, pastors, deacons, etc. and yet this female priest thing still presents problems! 

Especially when trying to say "female priest" in Spanish!

I am very privileged to be learning and serving as a priest.  I can tell you, it is no easy task being up there at the altar leading such important and holy activity.  It is intense.  And it is amazing.
Priest Laura+ at Trinity Cathedral

After the year I had this last year (going through a life threatening illness),  I did not know if I was ever going to have this wonderful privilege and be able to do this ministry. 

And it is wonderful! 

It makes me think of all the many women priests / priestesses who have done this...hundreds and thousands of years past...in cultures and religions all around the world.

I have a feeling, there are and have been many more female priests than we can possibly imagine....

Even if there is no direct translation in Spanish!

Smile!




No comments:

Post a Comment