Monday, October 22, 2012

The Spirituality of Music

My Grandfather and Grandmother, jamming
Music has always been a very big part of my life. 

Music is in my blood and there have been many professional musicians in my family.    My grandparents on my mother's side both met playing music back in the '40's!  She a guitarist, he a bass player.  After they married they had many years of gigging and enjoying music together.

My grandmother, now getting close to her nineties, recently had a large Gibson jazz guitar sitting in her living room, complete with cords and amplifier.  A keyboard was there too for my aunt to play.  And I proudly say, "That's my Grandma!"

In earlier times, there was always a drum set for my uncle to play.  And an acoustic upright bass for my grandfather to play.

Our family gatherings and holiday meals were always accompanied with a jam session!   I remember as a child being very frustrated as they played, for I so wanted to join in and play too!  But I just didn't know how to yet!

Funny thing, I was not raised around my grandparents, and what instrument called to me when I was a teenager?  Bass!  I always heard, in fact felt the beat, the rhythms, and the bass line.  At age 17, I bought my first electric bass guitar.  This was after playing drums for a couple of years.

When I went in the USAF,  I was snare drummer in the Drum & Bugle Corps in Basic Training.  It was pretty surreal, playing for all kinds of military functions, parades and even generals flying in at the airport.   But it sure beat doing KP!


By age 20, I was doing my first real "gig" as a bass player and getting paid for playing music at the Phoenix Performing Arts Center.   What a blast!

Sirena, 1980s performing at a festival in Tempe, AZ
Soon I was playing in other bands.   Sirena, (pictured here) was one of the bands I played in over the years.  

While in college I played music on the weekends, earning my way through school.  Weddings, proms, dances, parties, night clubs, festivals, quinceañeras, churches, and so forth.  Some gigs required travel and overnights.  So much fun and laughter. 

These were the happiest of times of my life.  Playing music, learning and going to college!  Food for the soul on so many levels.

Many of the musicians I played with during those early years have become life long friends.

After college, I had to work full time and my time of being able to play music was greatly lessened.   It was the times when music was not in my life, that I was the least happy.

I became aware that needed to make time for music.  For music is the language of the soul.  And it fed my soul.  Playing music brought such joy....a feeling and energy that goes way beyond words.

I remember the time I met my great uncle, my grandfather's brother, who was a professional keyboard player.  He was 75 years old when I met him, and he had a full head of bushy white hair and big, blue shining eyes.  His living room was full of keyboards and synthesizers.  He was all excited, because he wanted me to hear some new "patches" that he had just created.  And he played his different keyboards for me, saying with each sound and chords he played, "And check this one out!"  (music sound)  "And, and check this one out!"    He absolutely delighted in playing his keyboards and having me hear his sounds.  As he played, his eyes flashed with excitement and joy.

I remember thinking, 'Wow, if I ever live to be that old, I hope I have that kind of zest!'

In these times, it is easy to get caught up in playing music as a way to make money.  Or the thought that you are not "successful" as an artist unless you sell a bunch records or CDs and make a bunch of money.  Or that you become "famous".

Those are traps.  And every artist faces them, whether they be musicians, song writers, singers, actors, visual artists, dancers, and so forth.

It is no coincidence that music is a BIG part of religion and spirituality.  Ever go to a worship service with not so good music?    Not many people will return!

For music is rooted to the feel and  emotional aspect of the worship service or ritual...and it can open the door to the spiritual. 

In fact, music can be, and is a spirituality

But more on that in my next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment