Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Real Gem Inside the Dome of the Rock


The Dome of the Rock, Jerusalem / Al Quds
In my visit to Jordan and Israel in 2005, I was privileged to go inside the Dome of the Rock.  For Jewish people, Christians and Muslims, this is one of the most holy sites in the world.

Built in the 7th century by Muslims, it sits where the ancient Jewish Temple once stood, right on the very spot that was the Holy of Holies, the most sacred room in the ancient temple.  It is the tip top of Mount Moriah, (the rock), the very spot described in the story in Genesis, where Abraham was going to sacrifice his son Isaac.  (Abraham's son Ishmael for Muslims.) 

Walking around on the temple mount, it was pretty amazing to see and experience in person.  The Dome of the Rock on one end, and Al Aqsa mosque on the other.  Not dressed appropriately to go inside such a holy place, I returned a day or so later, properly attired. 

The Rock inside the dome
I was stopped at the door, and the door man asked me if I knew the Bismillah, or al Fataha, which is the first verse in the Qur'an.  It is a short prayer Muslims say every time they pray.   Coincidentally, I did, so I began reciting it in Arabic.  After reciting three lines or so in my really bad American English accent, he waved me in.

I walked in nervously and amazed.  Inside, it is very beautiful, with lots of artwork designs and calligraphy.  Many Muslims were in there quietly praying and or reading the Qur'an, men and women.  I saw the rock, the tip top of Mt. Moriah and walked around.  It was quiet and peaceful.  How I wished people could see this, as the news is so full of such misinformation and negativity about Islam. 

One little old Muslim lady with blue misty eyes came up to me and spoke to me in Arabic, but I could not understand her.  So a group of young girls came up to me and translated.  They told me, 'she is telling you that God loves you!'  I was touched.

Then the young girls, (they were Palestinian) gave me a small pendant as a gift.  They did this as they could see I was a foreigner.    Again, I was touched, but also quite embarrassed as I had nothing to give them in return.    So, a big tip for all of you if you ever travel to holy sites, bring gifts to give!

Pictured to the right are the young ladies I met in the Dome of the Rock, including the kind older Muslim lady who told me in Arabic, "God loves you!"

Now, here was the real gem inside the dome!

How privileged and blessed I was to have seen and experienced this!

1 comment: